Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

My History Part 1

Now that my brain is a little more clear, I can give you a history of what I have been through with all my crazy medical issues. This will be a long post. WH and I were married in 2001. I already knew that my menstrual cycles weren't quite right. I was right. After almost 2 years, I still wasn't pregnant. My OB said I had "unexplained infertility". All of my hormones were "normal" and he was scratching his head and didn't know why I couldn't get pregnant. I tried one round of Clomid. I felt like I was going to rip off my co-workers head for no reason the day after I started the Clomid. Never tried it again. In 2003, I got pregnant the all natural way. Unfortunately I miscarried our first son at 14 weeks gestation due to a 14+cm degenerating uterine fibroid (it was so big they couldn't accurately measure it by ultrasound). I ended up in the ER 3 times in dire pain. On the 4th trip is when I finally miscarried my son. Then there were 2 more trips to the ER after the miscarriage still in dire pain. That was my first real experience taking opiates for pain. During those few weeks I took Darvocet while I was still pregnant, Vicodin the day after my miscarriage, and then Morphine the next few days because the Vicodin didn't even touch the pain I was in after the miscarriage. Six months later (and 6 months of being on Depot Lupron to shrink the fibroid), I had my first open abdominal myomectomy. That was my first major surgery. I was in so much pain afterwards that I couldn't stand up straight for almost 2 months without being on a double dose of Vicodin. I remember sitting in the hot sun during our MBA graduation ceremony in May and feeling so much pain and nausea that I thought I was going to pass out during the ceremony (WH and I started and finished our MBA school together in 18 months). In 2005 we were blessed with the adoption of our son. Things were great, except I started to have the familiar abdominal pressure that I knew too well to be uterine fibroids. Two months after our son was placed with us, I endured another open abdominal myomectomy. Recovery this time was much faster. I think I only took Vicodin for a couple of weeks afterward. All was good for a few months. Then when my son turned 1, I felt like the world was caving in on me. I had started taking Yasmin birth control pills the month before to help prevent more fibroids from forming (at least that's my OB said). I literally could not get out of bed, wasn't sleeping, couldn't sleep, and felt anxious and paranoid all the time. After 3 months, I stopped taking the BCP. My general Dr at the time literally told me that everything was normal and that I was crazy and needed to see a psychiatrist because all my symptoms were in my head. Needless to say I never saw her again. I cried a lot and prayed a lot. Three months later God brought me the help I needed. I found my Naturopath. She was totally a Godsend. I sent over my recent test results and she immediately said that even though my Thyroid and Adrenal levels were in the "normal" medical range, she knew that they were very low FOR MY BODY. After 6 months of taking the natural herbs and supplements she gave me, I felt healthy again. I had tons of energy, was back at the gym working out, and was sleeping through the night with no problems. To be continued a little later...trust me there is more.

No comments:

Post a Comment